Sexual Civility and Empowerment (SCE) Ambassadors are Ohio State students dedicated to sexual violence prevention and peer education. SCE Ambassadors are fully immersed in the topic of sexual violence in order to present sessions for the First Year Success Series (FYSS), Second-Year Transformational Experience program (STEP) and other SCE events throughout the school year.
Weekly team meetings and training retreats provide SCE Ambassadors an opportunity to grow a support network of diverse individuals with a passion for social change and education in areas of sex positivity and sexual violence prevention. As an SCE Ambassador, you will develop personal and professional skills applicable to any future career goals.
SCE Ambassadors are supervised by a Sexual Violence Prevention Coordinator in weekly team meetings and ongoing communication. All current Ohio State students are eligible to apply for an SCE Ambassador position and will be chosen based on the desired qualifications listed below. Students may be disqualified or dismissed from a position if they have received (or receive) student conduct sanctions regarding sexual misconduct.
REQUIRED TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
SCE Ambassadors can expect to spend approximately five (5) hours in an average week in SCE Ambassador related activities. Additional time commitments include once a semester retreats/training and self-education. Beyond academics, the role should be a priority in your time commitments on campus.
- Attend a two-day weekend onboarding retreat (August 26 and 27)
- Attend once weekly two-hour team meetings (T or W 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM)
- Attend a two-day weekend retreat (January 2018)
- Facilitate approximately one Buck-I-CARE about Consent program per week Fall ‘17
- Facilitate approximately one STEP related program per week Spring ‘18
- Attend bi-weekly one-on-ones with supervisor(s)
- Facilitate other SCE programs and attend SCE events as requested
- Document and report any sexual misconduct disclosures
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be a currently enrolled student at Ohio State (Columbus) at time of application who will be enrolled at Ohio State (Columbus) for the full 2017-18 academic year
- Good academic standing with a minimum 2.5 GPA and good disciplinary standing
- Strong oral presentation skills
- Ability to take the initiative, confident, self-motivated
- Understanding or willingness to learn inclusivity concepts regarding gender, sexual orientation, race, and other identities
- Comfortable discussing sex, consent, and sexual violence
- Understanding or willingness to learn sex-positive practices
- Commitment to self-improvement, student leadership, and peer-led education
- Financial compensation
- Develop strong presentation, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills
- Discover friendships with fellow Buckeyes
- Make a difference at The Ohio State University by connecting with thousands of students
- Become a voice for sexual violence prevention
- Stepping stone to other opportunities in SCE and Student Affairs
- Have fun!